Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Shedding Light on Light.



I was outside one night.  The air was thick with fog, making it hard to see further away from me.  Across the street was a lit-up parking lot, and hanging over the entrance was a low tree branch erecting from a large tree.  I noticed that the lighting from the lampposts pierced through the tree branches, creating multiple streams of light in the fog.  For some reason, it initially reminded me of the release poster for The Exorcist.  But then, it reminded me of new images sharing the same dark and foreboding tones.

Another observation I've experienced also occurred at night.  I was driving up a country highway late at night.  The atmosphere was darker than usual, while sporadic lampposts dotted both sides of the lanes.  I looked down at my front seat.  Lying on the seat were some books and a candy bar.  As I drove under each lamppost, I noticed how the objects on the seat were quickly illuminated, then returned to being hidden in darkness until the light approached.  In my head, I visualized a scene of suspense.  A man we don't, driving to God knows where.  We only get glimpses of what mysterious object lies on his seat.  A weapon?  A small box?  It is never fully revealed to us in enough time to discover who he is or what he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment